It’s a weekend filled with Puppets around Pittsburgh! The Puppets For Pages campaign is hosting a weekend of “pay-what-you-will” puppet events to raise awareness about the importance of every single Pittsburgh library. They will also be actively collecting donations for the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh at each venue. There’s plenty to see and do from open puppet studios as part of Unblurred on Penn tonight, an adults-only dance party at Shadow Lounge tomorrow night and a family day of puppets on Sunday. So head out to enjoy some puppets and support our local endangered libraries! Check out the weekend schedule below and get more info on the campaign and upcoming events @ puppetsforpages.org:
ALL AGES EVENTS:
FRIDAY: OPEN PUPPET STUDIO as part of UnBlurred, the Dance Alloy Building: 5530 Penn Ave, #3
Puppeteer Flora Shepherd invites you into her live/work space to see her current projects. In addition to my own work, I will be exhibiting the work created by children in the Puppets for Pages campaign.
SATURDAY: Knoxville Library
Final Puppets for Pages small community puppet event at a library scheduled to be closed.
SUNDAY: FAMILY PUPPET DAY 12pm-3pm, The Union Project, 801 North Negley Ave.
12:15pm Ange Tu’ulaupua Ulu: a traidtional Samoan folktale come to life.
1:00pm Things That Stick Bunny Jump: Giant, jumping bunny puppets.
1:30pm Flora Shepherd Together: join a participatory library puppet pageant
– Make your own rod, string, hand and shadow puppet and perform in a real puppet stage.
– Help build giant pageant puppets.
– Write letters to the Library Board of Trustees and your elected officials.
FRIDAY: Shadow Puppet Show at the Schmutz Lodge’s Burned Party, 5405 Broad St, 9pm- late, as part of UnBlurred, Puppet Show goes off around 10:30pm
– El Paso: my shadow puppet cowgirl love story set to live music by Missy Raterman
– View art by the Schmutz Company,
– Listen to the music of The 4 Roses
– Poems by poet, writer, vixen, and generally amazing person Sandra Beasley.
SATURDAY: GROWN-UP DANCE PARTY
Saturday, Dec 5th, 9pm- 2am, 21+, The Waffle Shop & Shadow Lounge, 124 S. Highland Ave
Dress as your favorite literary character encouraged! Your guest bartenders will be Max and a Wild Thing.
– Dance floor with giant shadow puppet screen.
– Video slideshow of endangered libraries.
– Adult puppet-making table.
– Children’s Art Exhibit.
– Letter-writing station.